District kids and teens 18 and younger don't have to miss a meal while school is out of session. Find a summer meal site near you.
Educator Licensure Services
The Educator Licensure office is the state agency responsible for issuing licenses to teachers, school administrators and school-based support personnel seeking to practice in or receive a license from the District of Columbia.
Monday: 9:00 am - 1:00 pm
Tuesday: 1:00 pm - 5:00 pm
Wednesday: 9:00 am - 1:00 pm
Thursday: 1:00 pm - 5:00 pm
Friday: 9:00 am - 1:00 pm.
*For in-person office visitors we provide general license application information and consultation. Consultation includes Q & A regarding licensure application requirements and processing timelines, and a check to ensure that application packets have the documents required to begin a review. Licensure evaluations/eligibility determinations are not conducted at the time of submission.
Application processing times**:
Up to 8 weeks
Up to 10 weeks
Up to 12 weeks
· Added teaching endorsement requests
· Re-evaluation requests
· Substitute teacher license requests
· Regular 2 application (program completers) requests
· License renewals
· Regular 1 application request
· Regular 2 application (non-program completers) requests
· Educators prepared outside of the U.S. requests
· Occupational, Performing arts, ROTC requests
**Processing times start from the date a complete application packet and all required supporting documents, as listed on the documentation checklist on the license application form, have been received by this office.
Educator Licensure Services
- Teacher Licensure
- Interstate Licensure Agreement (Reciprocity)
- Teacher Licensure Exams
- School Support Personnel Licensure
- Licensure Renewal
- Educators Prepared Outside of the United States
- Occupational and Experiential Licensure
- Obtaining Teaching Endorsement Licensure
- Licensure Re-Evaluation or Upgrade
- Substitute Teacher Licensure
- Teacher Licensure Regulations effective January 9, 2009
School Administrator Licensure Information
- School Administrator Licensure
- School Administrator Licensure Exam
- Licensure Renewal for School Administrators
- Administrator Licensure Regulations effective November 28, 2008
Information for All License Seekers
- Procedures to obtain Nation-wide Criminal History report (for DCPS employees only)
- Procedures to obtain Nation-wide Criminal History report (for all other applicants)
- Fee Schedule for Licensure Services
- Directory of Approved Educator Preparation Programs
- Request a Duplicate Copy of a License
Forward completed application packets to:
OSSE – Division of Elementary and Secondary Education
Educator Licensure and Accreditation
810 First Street NE, 8th Floor
Washington, DC 20002
Please note that all applications contain an application documentation checklist for you to verify required documentation that must be submitted with your application.
Educator Licensure Customer Service Survey
In an effort to better serve our clients, we are asking that you take a few moments to answer a few questions about the kind of service you received from the Educator Licensure office. We really appreciate your valuable feedback.