College and Career Prep – Student Advisors and Counselors
To support traditional middle and high school student advisors and counselors the Division of Postsecondary and Career Education in the Office of the State Superintendent (OSSE) has developed the following list of resources. An additional resource list for students and families follows for advisors and counselors to share.
OSSE Program Grants
OSSE manages grants that support college and career readiness work offered by local education agencies, nonprofit agencies, and community partners. These links lead to information about these grants and their application processes.
- Career and Technical Education Certification Program
- High School Ready Initiative
- DC Career Academy Network (DC CAN)
- Dual Enrollment
- SAT Preparation Expansion Grant
OSSE College and Career Programs and Initiatives
OSSE also offers regular programs and initiatives that support advisors and counselors’ efforts to encourage college and career readiness among their middle and high school students.
- Postsecondary Access and Readiness Series
- Counselor Professional Development
- DC College Application and Exploration Month
- DC College Signing Day
- FAFSA Completion Initiative
- FAFSA Portal - access to the portal is determined by user role (Local Education Agency, District of Columbia College Access Program (DC-CAP), community-based organization)
- Smart College Choices Initiative
- What's Next Campaign
Multiple conferences for middle and high school students are offered to support college and career readiness.