To be enrolled in any DC public school, a parent/primary caregiver must show original documents as proof of DC residency for each student assigned to or wishing to attend a traditional public or public charter school in the District. A completed DC Residency Verification Form must be completed to determine residency.
One of the following items is accepted to establish DC residency:
- A pay stub;
- Supplemental Security Income annual benefits notification;
- A copy of Form D40 certified by the DC Office of Tax and Revenue;
- Military Housing Order;
- An embassy letter;
- Proof that a child is a ward of the District of Columbia, in the form of a Court Order; and
- Proof of financial assistance from the DC Government, in the form of either a:
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) verification of income notice or recertification approval letter;
- Medicaid approval letter or recertification letter;
- Housing assistance letter from a housing shelter, including contact name and phone number or a letter from the Housing Authority; or
- Proof of receipt of financial assistance from another DC Government program.
If none of the above items are available to verify residency, two of the following items are required:
- Unexpired DC motor vehicle registration;
- Unexpired lease or rental agreement;
- Unexpired DC motor vehicle operator's permit or other official non-driver identification; and
- One utility bill (only gas, electric and water bills acceptable).
In determining residency, OSSE may require additional documentation. A list of documents families may be asked to supply to verify residency status beyond those outlined above include:
- DC Residency Verification Forms
- Other Primary Caregiver Forms
- Home Visitation Forms
- Title X Part C McKinney-Vento Confidential Referral Form
See the full Residency Verification Webinar for procedures and required documentation.